Saturday, June 7, 2008

CON JOB


Con Job
By: Saddletramp
A single tear rolled down his cheek into his beard as he locked the office door behind him. Putting on his shades he took a deep breath, lit a cigarette and exhaled.
Tramp, why do you bother to hope? You know it’s some kid on their parent’s computer.
He walked to the Black Wing… Hi, Midnight. You miss me? He, touched the bike with loving hands. Well ol’ girl, looks like you and me again. Well, you still love me. Let’s
Go home big lady. With a turn of the key and the touch of a button the big bike came to life. One hundred fifteen horses pulsed below him.
He pulled out of the drive onto S.P.I.D. He eased the big bike to 40 miles per hour as a
Kid in a B.M.W. cut him off and entered the freeway ramp. The frame sat down as the
drive shaft transferred the power to the huge Dunlop rear tire. He blew the paint off of the punk’s car as Midnight’s power band came to peak. Scared the kid so bad the biker would have bet a cold beer he wet his Dockers. Next time little man, Tramp thought.
Halfway home he left the freeway to visit a friend. Turning into the narrow alley he
Saw something dart in front of the huge Wing. Thump as he hit the disk brakes. Ah shit he thought as he lowered the side stand and dismounted the bike. He knelt down
And looked under the Wing. It was a gray kitten; the weight of the bike crushed it flat.
Looking over the saddle to a chain link fence was a little girl in a faded and torn dress.
She quietly sobbed my kitty, my kitty. They are called "Los Pobres" the poorest of the poor. His mind flashed back to a time long ago, a place he had almost forgotten.
A little boy with a dirty face looking at his mangled red wagon, as the milk truck made it’s way down a lonely alley in a place far away. He knew the sadness and the pain, it wouldn’t happen twice. He picked the kitten up as she watched and placed it into the right saddlebag. He walked to the fence and knelt down, and softly asked what is your name little one.
Lisa, well Lisa my name is Mark, and I have damaged your kitty. Lisa, do you believe in magic? He asked softly? Yes I think so. I know a lady that does magic, and she can fix your kitty. She can? Yes, sweetheart she can. Her beautiful brown eyes sparkled with hope. Tramp thought it was a safe bet that the cat was all she had. Liar, she cried as
Tramp turned to the bike. He turned back to her. The tears streamed from her eyes.
You will leave just like my Papa. You will not come back. Oh baby, I will come back,
You have my word. If it wasn’t for his sunglasses she would have seen the tears welling up in his eyes.
He mounted the big machine and headed out of the alley. About a mile away he stopped and dropped the kitten in the dumpster. As he pulled into Circle K he picked up an ADSACK and started to find a kitty for the little girl. There was none to be had.
As he reread the paper he noticed an old woman pushing a shopping cart towards him.
The old woman sat down beside him on the sidewalk. It’s hot today, she said. Yes mam
Shure is. What is troubling you boy she said? He looked at her and could see that she had a genuine interest.
I see the tears in your heart young man; you can’t hide them from me. Who are you
Anyway. My Mother named me Marion. My friends call me Mary. Bring the kitten that
You placed in the trash to me. Go get it boy. Yes Mam. As he backed the Wing out of the drive his brain said, hello? Just what in the Hell are you doing? The cat is dead.
Nothing can bring it back. The other side said shut up, theirs a chance. Ok, Try it and find out.
As he peered into the dumpster the kitten was nowhere to be found. Pulling into the Circle K drive he saw Mary, her hands folded, her head was still. Oh great. First a cat now a woman. She raised her head and said go get me some tea boy. The hair on his body rose to his neck. Ok, sweet, or not? Sweet, she said. He handed the "Big Gulp"
To her and she took a small sip, smacked her lips and said ahhh, that’s better. Take
The kitten to the child in the alley. How did you? It’s in that box on your bicycle.
Can’t be, as he walked to Midnight. The faint mewing of a kitten in the side box as he turned to look at Mary. The hair rose on his neck.
There was nothing there. Marion and her cart were gone. Can’t be, he said to himself.
Had to slip by me, somehow….
He dropped the side stand in the alley and opened the saddlebag that held the kitten.
The little girl was waiting at the fence. My kitty, My kitty, Oh thank you Sir, thank you.
Please little one, do me a favor and do not play in the alley, ok? Yes Sir, I promise!
Mark saw a piece of paper folded neatly between the Wings gas tank and saddle.
He picked it up and thought it was a gas receipt and put it in his checkbook.
Pulling the Wing into the empty drive, it was almost dark, as he felt a strange force inside him. He hated the night, because he knew the tears would come again. He could take almost anything but the loneliness. The tears came most every night.
He parked the bike and removed the note from the leather checkbook. He unfolded the note and it read, Boy, I decided to help you today because your heart is pure. You give more than you take. There is much sadness in your young heart, but you have never walked alone. I give you this gift. She waits for you child, love her with all of your heart, and she will return your love ten times over. She is much like you boy, she is very special. And never forget; if you ever need me, just look deep inside your heart,
I will always be there. Mary…
He opened the trunk on the big Wing and almost sat his helmet down an a dozen or
More of the most beautiful red roses he had ever seen. Just at that moment he heard a voice say excuse me, hello there, I was told you live here, are you Mark? Yes I am. Hi, my name is Jean, Mary, sent me……..

No comments: